At Doulos Discovery School we are committed to providing a high quality education to students from all socio-economic backgrounds and discipling them to use their education in pursuit of their vocation to impact the world around them, becoming the next generation of Dominican leaders.
As a Crew, we view our vocation as our calling and work to support one another as a body of believers. We are a relational community that values and respects our Crew in some of the ways listed below.
- We are committed to the spiritual health of our Crew, including morning prayer, staff devotionals and Days of Solitude as a part of our yearly routines.
- We strive for multi-cultural unity; therefore we provide language classes free of charge for all Crew members
- We value staff development, both on and off campus. We offer continued education credits as a part of our incentives package and encourage our Crew to pursue additional opportunities, equipping themselves in the best way(s) possible.
The Master Teacher position is a trainer and coach for teachers and classroom assistants. They will mentor, encourage, assist in preparation, and exemplify Doulos Instruction at its best. The purpose of this position is to increase the quality of instruction within the classroom while working to develop and retain great teachers.
- Observe, evaluate and when appropriate, co-teach with classroom instructors / assistants.
- Cultivate the self awareness of classroom instructors / assistants in regards to their strengths and areas of growth.
- Study, prepare and present specific topics for the professional development of classroom instructors
- Provide backup support as a substitute teacher for the school.
- Work along side of the methods and curriculum coordinator to identify and correct deficiencies in both the curriculum and training of teachers in how to use our curriculum.
- Assist and encourage teachers as they make the adjustment to a new culture, language, distance from friends and families, along with the potentially new teaching paradigm.
- Bachelor’s degree from recognized college or university in education, ministry or related field with up to date teaching credentials
- Possess an intimate and mature relationship with Jesus Christ and is prepared to disciple students and teach weekly devotionals
- Seeking committed and dynamic individuals with experience in curriculum planning and/or experience as a lead teacher or mentor
- Strong history of achievement in academic, professional, extracurricular, and/or volunteer settings
- Superior organizational ability, including planning well and managing responsibilities effectively
- Perseverance in the face of challenges, ability to adapt to changing environments, and a strong desire to do whatever it takes to improve and develop
- Excellent critical thinking skills, including the ability to accurately link cause and effect and to generate relevant solutions to problems
- Passionate about providing high quality education to students from all economic backgrounds and dedicated to student achievement
- Preferably bilingual, but not necessary
- Respect for individuals’ diverse experiences and the ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds; experience working in a cross cultural setting preferred
- Be flexible and respond in grace when unforeseen situation require your assistance
Doulos Crew Environment “We are crew, not passengers”
- Carry and conduct yourself in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ and consistent with DDS beliefs
- Report directly to the Vice Principal
- Supported by Coordinator of Methods and Curriculum to ensure student mastery of standards and curriculum development
- Attend weekly staff devotionals, showing commitment to deepen your relationship with Christ
- Lead bi weekly meetings with grade level teams of 4-5 teachers to foster collaboration and communication
- Engage with other Master Teachers and Methods and Curriculum Coordinator regarding questions, initiatives and additional support
- Participate in and assist with staff professional development opportunities
- Always available for possible substitute teaching
- Be present, professional and punctual for all required staff meetings and school events (ie. business meetings, expedition nights, outdoor education events, etc.)