Secondary English Teacher
At Doulos Discovery School we are committed to providing a high quality education to students from all socio-economic backgrounds and discipling them to use their education in pursuit of their vocation to impact the world around them, becoming the next generation of Dominican leaders.
As a Crew, we view our vocation as our calling and work to support one another as a body of believers. We are a relational community that values and respects our Crew in some of the ways listed below.
- We are committed to the spiritual health of our Crew, including morning prayer, staff devotionals and Days of Solitude as a part of our yearly routines.
- We strive for multi-cultural unity; therefore we provide language classes free of charge for all Crew members
- We value staff development, both on and off campus. We offer continued education credits as a part of our incentives package and encourage our Crew to pursue additional opportunities, equipping themselves in the best way(s) possible.
Provide high quality spiritual and academic instruction for all Secondary English classes. Equip our students to examine math concepts through a Biblical worldview.
- Create and manage a supportive, innovative, hands-on environment conducive to student learning
- Plan, implement and document meaningful units that prepare students for post secondary education; units should be biblically integrated, incorporate EL Design Principles and promote student leadership, critical thinking skills and community service
- Design rigorous and thorough lessons in accordance with Doulos determined standards, ensuring breadth and balance in all subjects
- Identify clear learning targets for each lesson that are written in student friendly language and articulate desired student outcomes
- Establish and maintain an effective classroom behavior management plan
- Maintain a system of monitoring, assessing, record-keeping and reporting student progress towards mastery of standards
- Demonstrate commitment and passion to continuous growth as an expert in the field of education and within your content area.
- Possess high and clear expectations for self and students, holding students accountable to diligence in their responsibilities and believing that all students are capable of learning at a high level
- Disciple students, getting to know them both inside and outside of school with the purpose of encouraging, instructing, and correcting them as disciples of Christ
- Engage parents and families through regular communication regarding student progress, classroom expectations, upcoming events, etc.
- Form relationships with colleagues that lead to collaboration, growth, accountability and consistency across curriculum
- Utilize ESL (English as Second Language)/SSL (Spanish as Second Language) teaching strategies
- Track student attendance and tardiness daily
- Bachelor’s degree from recognized college or university in education, ministry or related field with up to date teaching credentials
- Possess an intimate and mature relationship with Jesus Christ and is prepared to disciple students and teach weekly devotionals
- Seeking committed and dynamic teachers preferably with experience in Secondary English education and/or experience as a lead teacher or mentor
- Strong history of achievement in academic, professional, extracurricular, and/or volunteer settings
- Superior organizational ability, including planning well and managing responsibilities effectively
- Perseverance in the face of challenges, ability to adapt to changing environments, and a strong desire to do whatever it takes to improve and develop
- Excellent critical thinking skills, including the ability to accurately link cause and effect and to generate relevant solutions to problems
- Passionate about providing high quality education to students from all economic backgrounds and dedicated to student achievement
- Preferably bilingual
- Respect for individuals’ diverse experiences and the ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds; experience working in a cross cultural setting preferred
- Be flexible and respond in grace when unforeseen situation require your assistance
Doulos Crew Environment “We are crew, not passengers”
- Carry and conduct yourself in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ and consistent with DDS beliefs
- Report directly to the Vice Principal
- Supported by Coordinator of Methods and Curriculum to ensure student mastery of standards and curriculum development
- Attend weekly staff devotionals, showing commitment to deepen your relationship with Christ
- Participate in biweekly meetings with grade level teams of 4-5 teachers to foster collaboration and communication
- Engage with Grade Level Leader regarding questions, initiatives and additional support
- Participate in and assist with staff professional development opportunities
- Always available for possible substitute teaching
- Be present, professional and punctual for all required staff meetings and school events (ie. business meetings, expedition nights, outdoor education events, etc.)