At Doulos Discovery School we are committed to providing a high quality education to students from all socioeconomic backgrounds and discipling them to use their education in pursuit of their vocation to impact the world around them, becoming the next generation of Dominican leaders.
As a Crew, we view our vocation as our calling and work to support one another as a body of believers. We are a relational community that values and respects our Crew in some of the ways listed below.
- We are committed to the spiritual health of our Crew, including morning prayer, staff devotionals and Days of Solitude as a part of our yearly routines.
- We strive for multicultural unity; therefore we provide language classes free of charge for all Crew members
- We value staff development, both on and off campus. We offer continued education credits as a part of our incentives package and encourage our Crew to pursue additional opportunities, equipping themselves in the best way(s) possible.
The Principal will serve as the chief administrator of the school in developing and implementing policies, programs, curriculum activities, in a manner that promotes the educational development of each student and the professional development of each staff member.
- Oversees educational accreditation and maintains compliance with agencies such as ACSI, AdvancED, Ministry of Education (D.R.).
- Train parents on the mission, values and policies of Doulos through regular communication and guidance. (ie, weekly newsletter, Asociacion de Padres Madre y Amigos de la Escuela (APMAE) )
- Develop a good relationship between the school and the community at large.
- Execution of school calendar and changes to calendar (ex: hurricane days, early dismissal, etc). Oversees School events (ie: Expedition Nights, Reading Under the Stars, Re-enrollment Night, New Family Orientation, Open House, etc.)
- Manages student admission process and re-enrollment process
- Works with Executive Director to plan and implement faculty professional development
- Oversees student interventions such as Students of Concern, Student Contracts
- Updates YAG (Year at a Glance) and Department plan
- Forms yearly department plan for the upcoming school year with Executive Director
- Works with Executive Director to lead morning staff meetings
- Manages Quarterly Review Meeting of school
- Manages semester in review retreat
- Oversees School Policies / handbooks for Parents/Students
- Manages parent survey process
- Oversees Academic VP, Administrative VP, Student Life Director and Office Manager
- Oversees the distribution of all grade reports and progress reports.
- Ensures that all grades and progress reports are turned in on time by teaching staff.
School & Ministry Operations
- Remain current with the necessary state and federal regulations regarding the operations of a private non-profit organization and ensure Doulos Ministry’s compliance with those regulations.
- Remain current with the necessary regulations regarding the Dominican Republic’s Ministry of Education and Dominican labor laws and ensure DDS’s compliance with those regulations.
- Remain current with the ACSI/ AdvanceEd’s accreditation requirements and ensure that Doulos is on track for re-accreditation, and making progress on the improvement plan from the last accreditation report.
- Develop and implement policies and procedures for the effective operation of the organization.
- Oversees the execution of the Continuous School Improvement Plan, as well as development of this ongoing plan.
- Develop a strong working relationship with the Executive Director through regular communication, meetings, and working collaboratively toward clear goals.
Support to Stakeholders
- Support DDS by “representing the organization” among “Friends of Doulos”, donor,s sponsors, and strategic partner groups, as well as other individuals and groups in or outside the spiritual community.
- Development of an appropriate annual comprehensive improvement plan.
Faith – Maintain a strong relationship with our Triune God through prayer, solitude, silence worship, simple and sacrificial living, service, intense study and meditation on God’s word.
Mission – Defend and grow the mission and vision of the school of equipping and educating servant leaders through Christian discipleship and expeditionary learning to impact the Dominican Republic. All decisions should flow through this perspective.
Curriculum & Accountability – Oversee that quality instruction is effectively taking place and that external benchmarks are being achieved (ex. PN, TOEFL, Terra Nova, ACT/SAT).
Campus Culture – Work with the administration, teachers parents, and students to closely monitor the “culture” of Doulos Discovery School, to ensure that the character and integrity of its people and operations reflect Christ’s character and the vision and mission of the organization.
Accreditation – Maintain international accreditation status with Association of Christian Schools International and AdvanceED and assure timely progress on the Continuous School Improvement Plan
- Preferred Master’s or Bachelor’s degree from recognized college or university in education, ministry, or related field with up to date teaching credentials
- Possess an intimate and mature relationship with Jesus Christ and is prepared to disciple students and teach weekly devotionals
- Committed and dynamic educator preferably with experience in Administration/Educational Leadership and/or experience as a lead teacher or mentor
- Strong history of achievement in academic, professional, extracurricular, and/or volunteer settings
- Superior organizational ability, including planning well and managing responsibilities effectively
- Perseverance in the face of challenges, ability to adapt to changing environments, and a strong desire to do whatever it takes to improve and develop
- Excellent critical thinking skills, including the ability to accurately link cause and effect and to generate relevant solutions to problems
- Passionate about providing high quality education to students from all economic backgrounds and dedicated to student achievement
- Preferably bilingual
- Respect for individuals’ diverse experiences and the ability to work effectively with people from a variety of backgrounds; experience working in a cross cultural setting preferred
- Be flexible and respond in grace when unforeseen situation require your assistance
Doulos Crew Environment “We are crew, not passengers”
- Carry and conduct yourself in a manner worthy of the Gospel of Christ and consistent with DDS beliefs
- Report directly to the Executive Director
- Supported by Executive Director, Administrative Vice Principal and Academic Vice Principal.
- Attend weekly staff devotionals, showing commitment to deepen your relationship with Christ
- Schedule and lead weekly meetings with the Administrative team to foster collaboration and communication.
- Be present, professional and punctual for all required staff meetings and school events (ie. business meetings, expedition nights, outdoor education events, etc.)